CIFALC’s main aim is to coordinate the language training and certification in Catalan universities. Agreements have been signed by the Catalan university system’s rectors as new institutions join the Catalan interuniversity system.
On 3 November 2000, an agreement was signed to establish the Catalan Interuniversity Commission for Language Training (CIFOLC) by the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, the Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya, the Universitat Pompeu Fabra, the Universitat de Girona, the Universitat de Lleida and the Universitat Oberta de Catalunya.
On 22 July 2004, the Universitat de Barcelona and the Universitat Rovira i Virgili joined the CIFOLC.
On 15 September 2009, the Universitat Ramon Llull, the Universitat Internacional de Catalunya, the Universitat de Vic and the Universitat Abat Oliba joined the CIFOLC.
On 28 June 2013, the Administration of the Generalitat of Catalonia and the Catalan universities signed an agreement to transform the CIFOLC into the CIFALC with the aim of including training and certification in languages other than Catalan.
On 15 December 2014, the parties to the above agreement wanted to continue collaborating in the future and signed a new subsidy agreement to promote the powers with which the CIFALC has been entrusted and which sets out the main lines of action envisaged.
- Coordinate language training projects in the sphere of the Catalan university system.
- Aid cooperation between university language services in aspects relating to university language teaching and learning.
- Manage the interuniversity certification examinations to obtain certificates of language knowledge, officially approved by the Secretariat for Universities and Research of the Generalitat of Catalonia, endorsed by the Catalan universities, and after reaching a consensus in the Inter-University Council of Catalonia.
- Universitat de Barcelona
- Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona
- Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya
- Universitat Pompeu Fabra
- Universitat de Girona
- Universitat de Lleida
- Universitat Rovira i Virgili
- Universitat Oberta de Catalunya
- Universitat Ramon Llull
- Universitat Internacional de Catalunya
- Universitat de Vic
- Universitat Abat Oliba